The first organizational meeting was held at the Neil House in Columbus, OH on May 2, 1945. The Chapter was officially chartered on June 21, 1945. The Central Ohio Chapter was the first Chapter in Ohio and the 21st in the United States. There were 52 original members and the Chapter territory included 19 counties in central Ohio.
Frank Laderer served three consecutive terms as Chapter President from 1948 to 1951. Janet Hendry was the first woman elected as Chapter President in 1995. As part of the Chapter’s 60th anniversary celebration in May 2005, the guest speaker was Dr. Kathleen Sullivan. At the time, she was the President and CEO of the Center for Science and Industry in Columbus. She was also a NASA astronaut and the first woman to walk in space.
The Central Ohio Chapter has approximately 247 current members and a territory that has grown to 23 counties in central and southeastern Ohio. The Central Ohio Chapter has earned STARS Recognition Awards from the Society for 8 of the last 9 years beginning with the 2004-2005 meeting year.